Thursday, July 29, 2010

Going Healthy Spaghetti and Sloppy Joes



So, our family has to change our diet a bit to accommodate my husband's health problems (diabetes). I am starting to re-work my standard fare to make it more healthy. I made 2 recipes tonight because I had 1 lb each of lean hamburger and ground turkey (99% fat free) and I thought it would be easier since I was cooking it up to just make the 2 meals and be done and have leftovers!
Here is what I accomplished tonight:

I started with 1 lb. of ground beef-97% lean and 1 lb. ground turkey 99% lean and cooked them up together. When they were about done I added 1 small diced onion and one zucchini diced fine and cooked till the vegetables were soft. Then I split the meat! The first half went to :

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Homemade sauce
Start with: Meat/Veggie Mixture
Add:
a splash of balsamic Vinegar to add sweetness and depth
salt and pepper
garlic powder
italian seasoning
dried parsley (I would use fresh if I had it on hand)
1 jar of homemade stewed tomatoes (use canned if you are not lucky enough to have a mom that cans tomatoes for you!!)
1 can tomato sauce.
cook for 5 min or so and check seasoning add what you need to make it taste good to you!

Let the sauce simmer to thicken up a bit while you:
Cook the whole wheat spaghetti, drain add to sauce
Serve and watch it disappear!

My little girls did not even guess it was healthy! To be honest neither did I!!

Sloppy Joe's, Slop Sloppy Joe's (yes we always say that!)

Start with the meat mixture
Add:
a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce.
a can of manwich sauce
a can of tomato sauce
a can of drained and rinsed white beans (why? because I like them and they are good for you!)

My one stove was busy with the spaghetti stuff, so I tossed all that in the microwave to cook, I nuked it for about 6 min total stirring half way through and checking the flavor.

Toast some wheat bread
Serve open faced with a fork
I got 4 thumbs up! 2 each from Kevin and Kent

P.S. No one noticed the Zucchini in either dish...HAHAHAAHAHAHA! I WIN!!




No comments:

Post a Comment