Monday, March 26, 2012

Crock Pot Coq au Vin





I got this recipe out of a magazine a few years ago. I wish I would have written down when and where so that I could give them credit, because they deserve it! It's soooooo good!!

FYI, for my large crock pot and equally large family I usually double this recipe.

Ingredients:

2 slices thick-cut bacon chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 C. frozen white pearl onions (I have substituted fresh and it works too)
2 chicken legs
2 chicken thighs (I have done this with bone in, and bone out, skin on and skin off all work)
1/4 t. Salt
1/2 C. coarsely chopped carrots
1/2 C. coarsely chopped celery
2 T. flour
1 t. thyme
1 C. dry white wine. (I substitute Chicken stock)

Proceedure:
Cook bacon in a large skillet till crisp.
(while the bacon is cooking add salt and pepper to the chicken and set aside)
with a slotted spoon remove bacon to the crock pot.
add the mushrooms and onions to the crock pot
Cook the chicken in the bacon drippings till brown on both sides and add to pot.

Add the carrots and Celery to the skillet with the drippings and cook for 4 to 5 min
until crisp tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in Flour and Thyme and cook 2 min stirring constantly.

remove from heat and add the wine stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Add all to the crock pot.
cover and cook on Low for 6 hours.


NOTES: I find that if I use skin on chicken there is too much fat in the pot and I have to scoop it out before i can eat it. So, generally, I get skinned pieces or pull it off myself. I also dislike pulling out the bones....so I get boneless and skinless....yes, I know, it sounds lazy but I have better things to do really!
This is good served with mashed potatoes or rice or noodles!
I brought home some Herbs de Provence from Paris and I usually add a teaspoon of that with the Thyme from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment