Thursday, March 22, 2012

Crock pot black Beans and Cilantro Lime Rice



Ever since we had Black Beans and Rice at a Brazilian Restaurant in
Salt Lake I have been looking for recipes that sound like they would be
close to the same! After reading lots of reviews of different recipes I
realized that I may just have to figure this out for myself! So, I did!!!
Here is the result:

Black Beans:

I bought a bag of dried black beans from the store and rinsed and soaked them overnight. Then I drained and rinsed them again and added them to my crock pot. I then added 2 cans of chicken stock(vegetable stock would work, as would water) and 2 cups of Water.
I then chopped up fine :
1/2 sweet onion
2 celery stocks
and saute'd them in
1 T. butter
I added:
5 cloves of minced garlic at the very end just as the onions were getting soft
and tossed it in the crock pot with the beans.
I Added some salt and pepper at this point to taste. You may need to add more later.

I cooked 6 hours on High and it didn't feel like it was done to me so I put it back on High and waited another few hours!
At about the 8 hour mark I put my rice in the rice cooker it made about 5 cups.
To this I added 2 T. of rough chopped cilantro and a mixture of
juice of one lime or lemon
1 T. sugar
1 T. rice vinegar.
This gives it a slightly sweet, sour flavor that marries well with the savory black beans. You can easily just use plain rice, brown rice etc!
(this is a variation on the recipe Pat gave me for her rice, I just didn't take the time to look that one up and get the proportions but it worked!)

Just before scooping up the black beans to pour over the rice I tossed in about 1/4 C. Chopped Cilantro and stirred it in.

Next time I try this I want to add some roasted Anaheim Pepper to the veggie part of the mix. I wanted to this time but never had time to run all the way to Safeway to get one!

Notes from my family:
Kent-needs Pork.....lots of pork!(this would of course make it NOT vegetarian)
Kevin-chomp chomp...it's good
Melannie-it's ok
Kat-ew I'm not trying that
Emma & Avril-Plain rice please....
Me....loved it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment