Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Janey's Split Pea Soup




This is my almost final product after years of playing with this recipe. I like to buy the bags of split peas at Grocery Outlet and I have taken the recipes on the bags and basically picked them apart and made them better.

First you must beg, borrow or buy a honey baked ham bone...ok I guess another would work, but these are my favorite! A good way to get one or two (freezable by the way) is to hang around the kitchen after a ward dinner where they are serving ham!

Dig out that large crock pot and add:
the ham bone
8 cups of water (more if you like it soupy)
2 C. rinsed split peas

Now!
Dice:
one onion
3 stalks of celery
2 carrots

Saute these for 3 min in about 1 T. Butter and 1/4 t. sage powder, dash of red pepper flakes!
(you can omit this step and just toss in if you prefer but I think it adds a nice flavor)
Add this mixture to the crock pot
Add 2 t. kosher salt, dash of pepper
and lastly, 2 bay leaves
Turn on High or low and get some housework done!

When done, remove the bay leaves and the ham bone remains, you may also need to skim off any fat if your ham had a lot on it!
OPTIONS:
I like to chop up the meat(only the tender parts) and add back to the soup. I Smoosh up the peas with the back of a spoon cause I like my soup chunky.
OR!
You can puree and strain soup for a smooth consistency.
OR/AND
you can add milk...

I will often puree up half of the mixture and add it back in for the smooth/chunky look!

This soup can also be made quicker by simmering for 45 min to an hour on the stove top!

Pictures to follow, I am making this today since I had to make room in the freezer and the ham bone was in my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment