Friday, May 25, 2012

Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad

I need more recipes like this! Flavorful, Fresh and Fabulous!


I am trying to cook in a way that will help my husband get more control over his diabetes.
So, Paring a yummy Prime Rib with a giant baked potato was out.....(cry!) So, I took to the web and found a few different variations on a tomato salad, and found that while they looked and sounded good, I already had in mind what I wanted to do...I wanted the flavor of my favorite Bruchetta....in a Salad form!
Recipe,
Sliced Heirloom Tomatoes
Basil Chiffanaud (sp? it means to roll up a bunch of basil leaves and slice thin strips!)
Fresh Mozzarella sliced (If I had any good Parmesan in the fridge I probably would have used that instead)
Green onion slices, or Red onion diced fine (about 2 T. total I did mine with Green onions)

Slice the tomatoes and add salt and set in a colander over a bowl for 15 to 20 min. While they sit
Make the dressing!

Dressing:
1/4 C. Olive oil
1 T. fresh lemon juice.
1 T Balsamic Vinegar (more if you like it tangy!)
Pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder or chopped fresh garlic to taste
Whisk together


Discard the drippings and add tomatoes into the bowl. Add, Cheese and Basil and dressing.



 Let sit in Fridge for a bit before you taste.
The Salt from the Tomatoes should be enough but taste before you serve.

I am excited to try some new things from the Farmers Market soon!! I hope he likes Beets...

No comments:

Post a Comment